From 23 April to 18 June to coincide
with the opening of the Municipal Rose Garden, the Cemetery will be
open on Sundays from 9:00 to 4:30. The two sites are very
close and could both be visited on the same day.
Municipal Rose Garden
Address: via di Valla Murcia 6; Clivio dei Publicii 3 (disabled
Tel.: + 39 06 5746810
Fax: + 39 06 57135413
Opening times: 21 April to 19
June everyday (including Sundays and holidays) h. 8.30 am-7.30 pm.
Closed: 20 May for the "Premio Roma" competition.
21 May to 18 June the roses
in the competition area
will be on view at the usual schedule.
Guided tours: free, booking required
How to get there
Closest underground station: Circo Massimo (B line)
From the Non-Catholic Cemetery (by bus): bus 23 or 280 (stop: Marmorata/Caio
Cestio) for four stops and then on foot
From the Rose Garden to the
Non-Catholic Cemetery (by bus): bus 75 near Circo Massimo underground
station for four stops
On foot: about 1,3 km on foot
Situated at the foot of the Aventine Hill,
a short walk from piazzale Ugo La Malfa, with a splendid view of the
Eternal City which includes the Monte Mario Observatory and the ruins
of the Palatine Hill.
Brief historical overview
Area dedicated to flowers since the Roman
age, it was agricultural land until the 16 th century. Given to the
Jewish community and called “Orto
degli Ebrei” (Jewish vegetable garden) in 1645, it also hosted
the Jewish cemetery until 1934. For this reason, the Rose Garden paths
have been designed as a Jewish menorah.
The Rose Garden owes its existence to Countess Mary Gailey Senni, an
American-born woman married to an Italian aristocrat, who made the opening
of the first garden on the Oppian Hill in 1932, a site which already
hosted the Vivaio del Governatorato, the Governorship’s nursery.
She was also responsible for the creation of the Premio Roma in 1933,
a contest dedicated to the selection of the best varieties of original
roses. In 1950 the Rose Garden was moved to its present position.
Sources and further information